February 25, 2009

Scrappy Decor

I'm always so amazed by those who can so easily create cute things for their homes with scrapbook supplies. For me, scrapbooking is photos and layouts...honestly, most of the time it's torture for me to do even a mini-book. Sad, I know, but it's just totally outside my comfort zone. ;)
With the whole handmade Etsy craze though, I've been totally inspired to try to create more things for my home with the things I have here on hand in my scraproom. So many times I will see something on Etsy or in a cute little shop and think "Hmmmm, maybe I *could* make something like that."

Anyhow, I wanted to share something that I created for my HOF entry last year. The inspiration came from a t-shirt with a tree on it that I saw at the Fossil store. Instead of leaves, the tree had little buttons printed everywhere. I *knew* I had plenty of buttons, so I went home and made my own little button tree on canvas. It was super easy to do...I just used a sponge w/blue paint and a little water to paint the "sky" background, painted the tree trunk, added the buttons and used AC Thickers and rubons for "There's No Place Like Home". (except, yeah, I definitely forgot the apostrophe on the actual project...oops!)

So, try something different...you never know how it might turn out! This is actually hanging in the hallway between the boys' bedrooms and everyone who comes over comments on it and asks where I got it. Who knew??! If you've made something fun for your home recently, I would love to see it!

10 comments:

Kimberly said...

Love your project. Funny how simple things can be so wonderful. Love it and thanks for more inspiration to create.

Emily Pitts said...

i'm so happy to hear it's not just me who doesn't think outside the box. and i'm even happier to see that it's curable :) love the tree kelly!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tree :)

Anonymous said...

oh wow - thats gorgeous. Might just have to rip into my button stash too. TFS Kelly. - hera

Anonymous said...

So cute, Kelly! I gotta make one (or two!) of those.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing :)

Shannon said...

29 winners!!!! I just MIGHT have a chance!!! LOL!
Looking forward to reveal night, I am loving the "sneaks!"

Erin M said...

Here's one I did for over my kitchen sink.

http://scrapbookourlife.blogspot.com/2008/05/easy-kitchen-canvas.html

I love to make canvases. Super easy (and inexpensive!)

Kimberlee said...

This is adorable! :D

liz mataraza said...

you know me, i'm completely opposite. i can't remember the last time i've made an actual scrapbook page!

my most recent home decor project is
here.