August 21, 2009

Walk with me

Come take a walk with me through my favoruite layout which I made for the Aug DT gallery.

Dancy Crazy was an odd shot of me on the beach during CHA. I think Stephanie Howell can take the credit for being the photographer or maybe it was Nik Harper or possibly Nic Samuels? I can't truly recall, I was too busy having a happy dance on the Pacific ocean edge.
The papers used on this layout came in the form of 6x6 sheets form the kit - those funky little Making Memory numbers just melted my heart. I wanted to make really good use of them and I cut them into strips to make these groovacious little rolls. Rolling paper is not new or rocket science. I'd seen a card on two peas a long time ago using this technique and I so wish I had taken down the name of the designer so that I can attribute the inspiration - sorry, if you are reading mystery rolly paper girl! After I had cut the papers into strips, I lined the reverse of them with double sided tape and simply rolled them up. I made a LOT of those rolls and I distinctly remember being on a very tight deadline to get this layout finished that in the end I almost wanted to poke my eyes out with them out of sheer deadline panic. Im so glad that I didn't in the end.

I spritzed the top right of the white cardstock with blue mist using a butterfly as a mask. Misting is tricky for me sometimes and I worry about having to waste a sheet of precious 12x12 cardstock. But it worked on this occasion and the layout slowly began to take form. Using leftover strips of the papers, I layered them in staggered fashion on the left of the layout, adhered my photo a'top then used the stripey paper to edge the right. Then came the rolly papers bits in line to match with strips to the left.

The rub-ons were not really calling my name at this point of the process and somehow, when I was flicking through my supplies , the rub-ons slid on the layout and it was like a eureka moment. I cut them to fit the gap and rubbed them all on, adding those beautiful little pink gems on the flower heads to finish.
There isn't a great deal of journalling on this layout, in fact most of my layouts are not speckled with my thoughts and words. Im simplistic and straight to the point on most of them but often, if there is heartfelt messages related to the story I hide my journalling in an envelope tucked behind the layout in the album. I'm really trying to be more open but because I produce a lot of public layouts I'm quite shy about it. Reyanna, however, singled out one of my other Aug DT layouts on the SC message boards by delighting that I had indeed journalled for all to see and I hadn't really given a thought about it until she highlighted the fact. So maybe next month I might splurge a little bit more from my heart and share with you all.

7 comments:

april said...

i love getting a glimpse into your creative process

Houston said...

I love your layouts my dear, so very detailed and beautiful!

Karen said...

I'm loving all of these explanations that you ladies have been giving us! :)

Darien said...

they are really awesome!!!

bethchien said...

those are absolutely gorgeous layouts !

mely said...

Fantastic!

Emily Pitts said...

this is so cool kirsty, it's really fun to read about what and why you do what you do. especially looking forward to next month's journaling :)