October 1, 2009

New Additions

We've had a few changes around the office lately and I thought that I would use my blog post today to introduce you to our new team members.


First, let me introduce Kristen & Bella. Kristen is our new graphic designer and Bella is her faithful 4 legged friend.

Kristen is a student at Western KY University and will be graduating in December. I wanted all of you to get to know her, so I concocted some interview questions to give you a little insight into our new team member.

1. Why did you choose graphic design as a career? (I had to start her off with an easy one to break the ice)
I chose graphic design because even at a young age I had a huge imagination and was always into arts & crafts. In 4th grade I was my teacher's "Art Princess". It's always fascinated me because the possibilities are endless and it's far from boring. So naturally graphic design was right up my ally.

2. What is your favorite aspect of design?
I enjoy the challenge that it gives me. Most people think that its an easy mindless job, but in fact it can be challenging. I like overcoming this factor and seeing the end result and how much progress I made along the way.

3. What made you apply for the job at Studio Calico?
Good Question. I have a lot on my plate as it is with doing another internship with WKU (Imagewest) and taking three classes. I've always loved scrapbooking and wanted to get into a job just like this to learn more about it. With the two weeks I've been here, I've learned so much more about scrapbooking then I had ever imagined. It's fun.

4. What was your first impression of Studio Calico?
I like the peaceful drive to work and I think the whole concept of the company is very interesting!

5. What has been the most surprising thing about your job at Studio Calico so far?
That I can bring my dog to work! I love it! Because I felt like a bad mom with never having time to spend with her. But really that I have learned as much as I have so far. I'm learning more and more everyday

6. What is your favorite pattern? Least favorite pattern?
I like all patterns usually. More so bright and lively than dull. I like stripes and circles as well. Least favorite.. anything with like skulls on it, I don't know why but not a big fan of the skulls. (I know that many of you out there are also anti-skull....this should make you happy!)

7. If you could name your own font, what would you name it?
Kristen of course, but since that font is already in existence (not a very exciting font if you ask me) I would name it "Bubbles" and it would be big fat bubble letters with polka dots in them.

8. What is the most rewarding part of being a designer?
Seeing my work made public. It's an amazing feeling to be able to point and say I DID THAT!!

9. Tell us the story of Bella.
Bella is the love of my life. I am so obsessed with her. She has the most loving personality and a great snuggler :) I am a pet person. I LOVE any and all pets. Mostly dogs but I've had almost every pet possible. So naturally when i went away to college and my mom got rid of my yellow lab i was devastated. I lived in a place that didn't allow dogs for 2 years so when we moved out i convinced my roommate to move into a place that was pet friendly for our last semester. She agreed but my mom did not. She kept telling me to wait until i had a house, a dog is so much responsibility esp a puppy, you need to wait. Well, she was right, moms are always right. Bella is soo much more responsibility then i had ever imagined. But i think I'm better for it. She does limit me sometimes, but I wouldn't trade her for anything. She always puts a smile on my face (but not when she chews up my computer power cord or pees EVERYWHERE because she gets excited) I have so much fun with her. I got her from the humane society when she was 4 months and she is now 7 months weighing in at 21 pounds. No idea what she is they didn't know her mom or dad, but she looks like a mini boxer, and greyhound mixed with a whole lot of other stuff. So who knows but that's her story in a nutshell :) (We are all dog lover's here, so I had to throw this one in....it makes me all warm and fuzzy)

10. What is your favorite drink?
Easy, Chi Tea. It's like coffee for me. Don't try it unless you want to be addicted. (In my opinion)


You all know how much we love Sonic drinks around here....she's young and we will work on her and try to get her to see the light! There is nothing better than a Sonic drink!
While I'm at it, I'm going to go ahead and introduce you to another new arrival. Her name is Ava and she is the cutest little bundle of joy you have ever seen!

Ava is Carter's little sister....her Mommy is Cara. Some of you know Cara because you see her name in your kit every month, she is one of our dedicated kit packers. We missed her like crazy while she was out on maternity leave and I, for one, am so excited that she is back working with us again!! One good thing about Studio Calico, we love babies and dogs!

That's all for me today....Emily's got something good planned for tomorrow....stay tuned!
Lorie