October 3, 2008

Kit Questions

Sweet Waleska came up with a great idea for a blog post.
She wanted to know how I stored and used my kits.
So I wanted to do a post with her questions.


I would love to know about the how/what/when of your SC kits.


1. what do you do when it arrives? Freak out? No seriously...I know when it is coming and I usually get the door open before the UPS guy can knock on it. I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm a freak. I don't even wait for scissors to open it. I rip the tape off, sit down on the living room floor and look through it . Usually Harper is helping me and yelling things like "OOOH! PWETTY!!!" and "NIIIICE!".


2. do you have a personal goal with the kits (i.e. to use all the papers at least once, etc.)
- I usually try to do one layout using only the main kit. I don't know why, it's just something I do. I also try to use everything in the kit, even if I only use a tiny bit. My newest challenge to myself is to use the stamps. I am NOT a stamp person, no matter how much I want to be. So lately I'm making sure I use them at least once. They are SO cute and chic, I feel that I'm doing them a disservice by not using them.

when do you decide to put it away?- I usually just run out of steam at some point. It's usually after 4 or 5 layouts and maybe a mini. That has more to do with running out of authentic topics then it has to do with tiring of the kit. I could use every single last scrap if I had enough stories to scrap.

how do you store it?- I keep my kits in a 12x12 Scrapbook Case by Iris:


I usually package the papers in a 2 gallon ziploc and put flowers/soft embellishments in a sandwich size ziploc. Hard embellishments go in a separate ziploc.

When I am down to remnants only, I put the leftovers into another Iris box that houses all of my SC scraps. I like to keep them together so I can use them on challenges, etc. later.



do you ever go back to it?- Always. I love to use past kits on other projects.

So there it is! Thanks so much for a great topic idea, Waleska!
xo
s

6 comments:

Greta said...

Thanks for sharing! It's fun to read about how you tackle the kit. And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who runs out of topics to scrap. That is my biggest challenge.

waleska said...

Steph, thank you so very much for answering all the questions!! I really love reading how other 'do it' LOL
oh, and I store my kit the exact same way (sandwich bags and all!) :)

mommy2alex said...

Love your answers! That was so fun to get a peak into how you work with your kits. I just started a Studio Calico expandable craft file and put the stamps by themselves instead of thrown in with all the others - they're too special, they need their own home!!

april said...

love your process! thanks for sharing!!!

Mandie said...

awesome post, Steph! I keep my kits in those boxes too. Saw a cute orange one @mike's yesterday.

Anonymous said...

it was fun to read your process! :) tfs!