May 22, 2010

Paint Effects Tutorial

Hi! Tina here. I'm going to give you a few techniques on how to create unique backgrounds using paints and mists. So prep your work area with some scratch paper and get ready to get your fingers tips dirty. :) Get out your paints, mists, a cheap paint brush, a foam brush, a hard plastic card (like an old gift card), a circle and star punch, some stamps and ink.
I sometimes use my plastic circle template but found making your own with all the same size circles makes the painting go faster. Choose your paint color and grab your stiff paint brush (I usually get the cheapest ones from Micheals)
Painting in a circular motion, fill in the circles but don't load your brush with more paint until it becomes faint. Usually by the 3rd or 4th circle. Having different tones of blue makes it more interesting. Let it dry before moving onto the next step.
After the paint has completely dried, place the template over your paper and trace circles using a pencil. This defines your circles and adds more depth.
Let's keep going....grab some stamps and ink. With your template placed over your painted circles, stamp your image.
Here's an example used on an older layout.

Try this technique with a different shape template. Stars are really fun.

I showed this paint technique last year but thought I would add a little twist.
Take your plastic card, a foam brush and a few colors of paint.
Start with your first color and apply a layer of paint to the edge of the card.
Place the card on your paper and drag it down.
Without cleaning off the card, add another paint color. Repeat dragging.
I applied this technique to my most recent layout.

This last technique was inspired by 2 things.
First, I happen to accidentally splatter some mist when I was trying to unclog the sprayer.
Second, I came upon a photo on Tumblr that had a similar effect but was done with water color paint.
Uncap your mists and shake onto paper. This will add droplets of mist. Add several colors.
After adding your desired amount of mist splatter, take a paper towel and blot it dry.
I added a typed message and a bird (using the MS punch). I can't wait to try this on an actual layout.

Thanks for hanging out with Stephanie and I this week.
I hope that you will give one of these techniques a try.
Practicing on little tags is something I recommend before applying them to a layout.
Remember, have fun and make it your own!

29 comments:

Char said...

i love the bird stamp on there too. fun techniques!

Amber said...

I want to try every one of these ideas!!! Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

oooh so fun! I have to try this!:)

Annie said...

these techniques are delightful! I can't wait to try it out!

Ally said...

I LOVED seeing this!

Christine said...

thanks so much for sharing! love these!

g. said...

This is really lovely!
I will try to do the same and thank you for these great ideas!
g.

lisa truesdell said...

these are too cool - you make me want to break out the paint!

Marti said...

Great tutorial! Good thinking on trying it out on a tag- I have way too many of those, so it is a perfect excuse to use them. Plus, it makes for a pretty laundry line of inspiration!

Stephanie said...

FANTASTIC!

Geralyn said...

These are AWESOME. Thanks for showing us :)

joanne (spagirl) said...

you are so talented! thanks for sharing those awesome techniques tina!

Kari Desi said...

Paint is my favorite medium and I love these techniques! So fun and versatile!!

mprondzinski said...

Question .... where do you buy these white tags? I am only finding them at Office Depot in quantities of 1000!!

Thanks!

Keely Livings said...

Love your techniques, Tina! The results are just fabulous.

Tina said...

Marisa, I've had these tags forever, I think I got these at my local rubber stamp store. I would try Etsy.

Emily Pitts said...

i love the card dragging technique, i've tried it a few times, don't get quite the same look as you do, but love it nonetheless. i think i put too much paint on :)

Sara said...

will definitely try these! Thanks!!

Ursula Schneider said...

Can't wait to try this, great tut!

Shaina Longstreet said...

i totally love all of these ideas. gonna have to try this sometime soon!
and i think i'll post it in my {things i love} thursday post tomorrow!

ellen said...

Thank you, I'll try some of these ideas on and with fabric.

Wati Basri said...

totally love this..thanks for sharing!

Cindy Groh said...

Fabulous ideas. TY

Miek said...

Great and clear tutorial.

Cynnie said...

That was a fun tutorial! Thanks!

GFM Painting said...

Looks like these are amazing
oil painting on canvas

Ivy said...

These look so fun! I'm definitely going to try them out! Thanks so much for sharing! xo

Anonymous said...

From "Paint Effects Tutorial" i have find a lot of valuable material its helpful for plastic card designers.
Plastic Business Cards
Plastic Card printing

iphone 4 case said...

a few days ago, i buy a acer aspire one 9-cell battery ,long battery life,can last 9-10 hours ,its perfect,suggest you: