January 18, 2010

Monday Challenge on the HOME FRONT

It's Monday! Tina and I will be hosting the blog this week and decided that since Home Front was NOW ON SALE in the Shop, we'd devote our week to home-related things.

So for Monday's challenge, I'd like you to make a home decor piece. As scrapbookers, we have the perfect stash for making things to decorate our homes, so this week, pull out those supplies and get creating. I have a thing for picture frames. I like to buy them and then never put pictures in them. I have pictures of someone else's children sitting around my house. I decided that needed to change. I made a conscious effort to make home decor projects every few months so I could start using those cute frames. This was the first project I made, some magnets for my sister. I used Garment District on these:

My second project was a numbers canvas, I used the entire package of Sassafras chipboard numbers. I put a thin layer of Claudine Hellmuth's gesso over the canvas board, then fit the numbers down into the gesso. When the gesso dries, it's solid, so the numbers weren't going anywhere. I stacked some of the numbers on top of others, using the CH gel medium (I used the matte, but you could also use the glossy) as the adhesive, I didn't think the adhesive that the chipboard came with would stand the test of time too well. Gel medium will. It's a serious adhesive. When the project was dry the next morning, I painted a thin layer of the medium over the entire project, as a sealant.

A few months later, I made this canvas, using the Claudine Hellmuth sticky back canvas, gel medium, orange paint, the happy home stamp, and a button. To see a tutorial on how it was made, go here.

This is the first one I actually used a frame I'd already purchased. I just covered the Maya Road mini chipboard houses with papers, sanded the edges with my precision files from Basic Grey, then attached them to the cardstock and stamped. I'd love to say it was quick and easy, but it did take a while to do all the sanding. But it was worth it.

And finally, I just made this project. This one was fast! I just cut out a bunch of leaves, a tree trunk and glued the leaves to the branches. It literally took me 30 minutes. And I love how it turned out.

So there you have a variety of home decor ideas. If you want some more inspiration, go to Karen's (akaliz) gallery, she is who I think of when I think of home decor using scrapbook supplies.

You have until midnight Pacific time Saturday. Link to the thread on the message board. Please, make your entry a NEW project, not one you've already created. Have fun!

8 comments:

betsy (pharmgirl) said...

dear gosh! those are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the CraftCrave Scrapbooking Challenges & Competitions search engine today (look for timestamp: [19 Jan 01:00am GMT]).

Sarah Lou said...

Oh heaven! the numbers - truely magical. Im in love!

MichelleB said...

Wow!!! LOVE all of these ideas and I'll be printing this post off and hanging it on my inspiration board! Thank you!

Tiffany Heilman said...

Love all of these projects!

Unknown said...

I love the number canvas! So much that I somewhat copies it (giving you total credit, of course). Mine didn't turn out as good, but I still like it. I painted the background to match my son's room better.

ale said...

l-o-v-e your projects, emily! thank you for sharing!

Danielle Flanders said...

those are gorgeous!
here's mine:
http://www.studiocalico.com/forums/galleries/show/18926