January 23, 2010

use your scraps tutorial




I'm often inspired by the leftovers I get after cutting or punching out shapes. I recently cut up some of the little houses out of this super cute paper and was left with some what of a mask. I thought it would be great to add a little random misting using the leftover piece of paper that we would normally just throw out.

The image below is how I originally masked my houses. It got a little messy. I ended up misting in areas that I didn't want misted. It ended up working in the end but I knew that next time I would need to come up with a better solution. You could use one of the cut out houses and trace it onto your card stock then cut it out with your exacto knife which is probably what I'll do next time. I just didn't want to throw away that piece of paper! I ended up taping it down on a piece of sturdy card stock and quickly cut out the house. Simply place the mask or stencil over targeted area and spritz. I had a lot more control with the mist than with my "hurry up and spray the paper because I'm so inspired and I need get my idea down to paper" method.
Using the tape was nice because I was able to just wipe up the excess spritz and store it away for another use.

Here's another layout I did using leftover punched out paper.


Next time you think of just tossing that leftover cut out or punched up paper, grab a bottle of mist or paint add a little color and texture to your layout.

Items used:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the CraftCrave Blog Printable Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: [24 Jan 02:00pm GMT]).

Zarah said...

That's so clever and OOOOH so cute! LOVE that layout!!

Margot said...

what a great idea!

Glynis said...

Love this idea! I have so many things I want to use this for, can't wait to try :O)

lisa truesdell said...

oh, loving the idea of taping the scrap in the middle of a bigger mask - i am always trying to hold down a zillion little pieces of paper to make my mask big enough. LOL.

lindsay k./aggiebonfire00 said...

you are a genius! i love your creativity and thinking out of the box!

Natalie said...

I finally tried it !
http://www.addictedscrapper.ca/2010/01/yogurt-dad.html
I overlapped it and did quite a few several times however the photos did not capture it in its full iridescent glory! Thanks for the new technique!