February 15, 2010

challenge: use it or lose it.

In efforts to purge and actually use my supplies rather than hoarding them and eventually not wanting the product anymore, I decided this year to was either use it or lose it.
I've been holding onto several empty chipboard alphas thinking I would find some genius way of using them but they quickly collected dust.
Not today.
Today they were worked into a layout and possibly a mini.
If they were not used, I would toss it.
So when you're faced with that choice of using something you absolutely love or throwing it away, what do choose?
Thought so.
So let's actually use those items we love. Today.
Ok...you actually have a week for this challenge.
Use it or lose it. Make the choice. Don't wait for that perfect layout you foresee in the future that will call out for that rub on or chipboard piece. That time is now. Why else would you have the overwhelming feeling of wanting to hold onto it forever?

Back to that empty chipboard alphabet piece.
I first imaged this as a mini album but after laying out the pieces, I thought it looked pretty sweet as a layout. Could go either way, we'll see.
The thing about it is this piece of chipboard I hoarded looks a whole lot better to me now than it did in a pile of random half used supplies. It's satisfying to actually use something rather than keeping it tucked away.

Your challenge is to simply use it or lose it.
Due by next Saturday. I'll choose a random winner Sunday.
Happy Monday.
Tina

26 comments:

TeenaBugg38 said...

This is very cool! I am one of those people that is afraid to use things when I get them. I am either afraid I will mess it up or that it is just too pretty to use. I'm in.....I got a million things around her that I ahve visualized as a projectr but have been too intimidated to attempt....thats why I love these blogs. I get to see everyones creativity and ya'll inspire me!

Genevieve kerns said...

I am soooo one of those people! Thats actually one of my goals for 2010...use it before i dont like it anymore! :) Great challenge!

Sasha Farina said...

that is just brilliant!

Dani said...

That is really cool! I am like that too - I hoard stuff way too much. I do have a question, though - do the supplies have to be entirely Studio Calico?

Anonymous said...

WOW! This is sooo cool!!!

kathleen said...

Awesome layout and a perfect challenge for this self proclaimed kit hoarder!!! Thanks for the inspiration, Tina!

Debbie said...

great challenge !~ love what you did with the alpha board.

Hanna Long said...

great challange Tina - I have the perfect scrap leftover I can't wait to use.

Kimberly said...

Wonderful inspiration!

Deana said...

Awesome. I ♥ it! :-)

Caroline said...

What a great challange, I always feel like parting with an old friend when using my favorite whatever, I have a lot of those :-)whatevers, so what a great challange for me..

lisa truesdell said...

this is really, really cool, tina. i love the mixed rubs - gorgeous.

lindam said...

Great idea Tina! I must give it a try! Loved your layout! Loved how you put your picture behind the alpha. Thanks!

Olivia said...

Great challenge & I love the LO!!!

LRH said...

Great idea! I am sooo one of the people you are talkiing to! Thanks for making me think more about my choices in hoarding my favorite things---I needed the reminder that sometime soon I won't like it or want it.

Emily Pitts said...

beautifully done tina, i love how you can make random things look so dang cool.

Cortaline said...

On this mini album I used all packaging og sudio calico's kits (prima box, studio calico label's stamps, etc.) ... http://www.studiocalico.com/forums/galleries/show/20298

Donna said...

awesome. just awesome

Genevieve kerns said...

Heres mine... http://genevievekerns.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-think-i-got-my-mojo-back.html

Courtney said...

Can't say how much I adore this layout...not enough words.

april said...

Dani, Any challenge on the SC blog, you may use whatever products you have. We're here to inspire :)

Tina, I think this is a BRILLIANT challenge. And a brilliant layout.

Paz said...

Great challenge!! I think we all hold onto things that we believe we can use one day, its part of our creative side that screams at us when we go to throw out a wrapper:) I gave this a shot!! I have been holding onto vellum for a really long time, so I decided to play around with it and use it!
http://afewofmyfavoritethings.typepad.com/home/2010/02/the-sewing-machine-has-come-out-of-hiding.html

Hanna Long said...

here is my LO - I used some negative heart cutouts as a mask w/ cream maya mist http://www.studiocalico.com/forums/galleries/show/20416

Unknown said...

Here is mine --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/22925946@N06/4372791343/

I used the alphabet I wanted to throw away and a piece of carton box.

Anonymous said...

What a great challenge!! Here is my submission:
twopeasinabucket.com/gallery/member/380734-seaken/1597713-9-8/?c=t

Stephanie Eaken

Kimber-Leigh said...

here's a link to mine:

http://www.studiocalico.com/forums/galleries/show/20456

i loved this challenge! (i think i'll do it a few more times!) i explained my "hoarded item" in the comments of my page!