February 6, 2010

Paper roses - A tutorial

I was feeling a little nostalgic when February's kit arrived in early January. On the 20th, my sweet girl turned 6, and I knew I wanted to do something soft and sweet to celebrate her and her birth.

When I opened the kit and came across this piece of paper from Crate paper, I was immediately inspired by the pink rose in the center at the top of the paper.


After playing around with paper scraps, a happy accident resulted in the rather sweet rosettes I put on my "At Six" layout here:



I love happy accidents.

I wanted to share with you how these pretty little things came about.

1. Trim a circle. I used this 3" punch for this example, but in my layout I used both a 3" and this 2.5" punch from Marvy. This or this scalloped punch might be fun too.







2. Take your scissors and trim a swirl around the perimeter a few times, getting smaller each time.



3. Roll it up.


4. This is where the happines happened. I rolled it up and wasn't really happy with my flower. I thought it was far too tight and was far too dimensional for my page.




So I put it down on my craft table.
Let go.
And got this:

And I was instantly in love.
And then I made several more in different sizes, lol.
When you are adhering, you can adjust it. And you can hide the end with a brad or a button in the middle of your flower, just as I did on my "At Six" layout.
Isn't Morgan beautiful? She's turning into such a sweet little lady.
Have a great day! Davinie

35 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love this technique. Not the trick for me is to remember to use it. Two thumbs up Dav!

Debbie said...

i'm glad you did this tutorial. love those flowers =)

Mary Jo said...

Thanks for the tutorial! Love those :0)

Jennifer Barksdale said...

tfs!! :)

Jennifer Yates said...

This is fabulous!!! Can't wait to try...thanks for sharing! :)

KarenP said...

Thanks so much Davinie! I was hoping you'd share how you did these!!

Leah said...

I love the look of these flowers. They look amazing on your page. What happens to them when they get in your scrapbook? I have always been leary of using embellys that stick up too much. Beautiful page.

Glynis said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I just love the dimension and playfulness they add to your layout :O)

Laura Fiore said...

I was wondering how you did that Dav! I love them!

Danielle Flanders said...

great idea for these flowers! my little crepe paper ones happened by accident too...don't you just love that! LOL

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the CraftCrave Handcraft Items search engine today (look for timestamp: [05 Feb 03:37pm GMT]).

Mary - said...

this is awesome - super fun techi. and beautiful layout! thx for the fab inspo! smiles, m-

Anonymous said...

Cette page est magnifique et toute douce.

lisa truesdell said...

i love these flowers!!

lindam said...

I was trying to figure out how you had done the roses! Now I know! Thanks!!

Donna said...

Love them! Thanks Dav.

Kim said...

this is fab!! thanks!! I reposted it on my tumblr. :)
http://kim-scrapsoflife.tumblr.com/

Victoria S. said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet one!LOVE Those flowers! thanks for sharing how to make them! i will be doing that for sure!

TeenaBugg38 said...

Happy birthday to your sweet girl....they grow up WAY too fast!! Thank you so much for this tutorial.....I have a layout I started last night and I am stuck becasue I wanted to use some flowers that matched but don't have any :( I adore this idea and will be trying it for sure!

MAM said...

Just LOVE these! They are the perfect touch to a frame I'm working on today. Thanks for sharing!!

Leah said...

love these so much! I will definitely try these for a LO soon! thanks for the tutorial!

Heather said...

Very cute layout! I too love these flowers...my holdup is how do you keep these layouts? To put in a normal album they will be completely smashed...any ideas?

Anonymous said...

this is brilliant!!!

Rose said...

WOW!!!! This is stunning! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

Olivia said...

Great tutorial for beautiful flowers! Thanks :)

Irma said...

Thank you for this tutorial!!! the paper roses are beautiful and I will find a way to use them in a project ;)

PiAnka said...

Wonderfull idea! Thanks for sharing it:-)

Alyssa B said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I have been meaning to try this!

Nancy said...

Oh, good - I did it right! *lol* When I saw your layout (and Morgan is indeed sweet!) I just had to try to make your flowers. I played & played, finally turned to my husband for his thoughts & he got it right away. Thankfully, he's so smart! *lol* I adhered my paper to a circle of GrungePaper since my paper wasn't cooperating as nicely as yours - love how GP holds its shape. Thank you for the tutorial, though - I'm going to be investing in circle punches now. I so love these flowers!

myriammg said...

marvellous ! i like it so much ! thanks for sharing !
bises from France

LMcBurney said...

Very lovely flowers! I saw a tutorial very similar on http://www.lollychops.com/lollychops/2010/01/my-first-ever-video-tutorial-.html and Lolly has some really cool variations of the flower depending on how wiggly you cut the spiral. I saw another variation on http://martinerijnbeek.blogspot.com/2010/02/kaartjes.html where she used shaped felt flowers to cut up and then roll. You should check it out.

LMcBurney said...

One more thing...I love the layout but I was wondering how you will store it.

Crafty Katy said...

Beautiful.

Kari Sweeten said...

These are soooo gorgeous!!!

Mike said...

I love the little white dots in the paper rolls very cute