February 24, 2010

Playing with Gesso and Mist

Hey everyone!

I prettified this canvas real quick for Valentine's Day and thought I'd share some photos and words with you :)

You will need.
6x8 Canvas Panel - I got mine from the art supplies store, super cheap. Less than $2.
Gesso
Orange Mist
Hydrangea Mist
Lime Mist
Dark Cornflower Blue Mist
Kraft cardstock - I used scraps. I'm sure you have some lying around.
Heart Stamp, Maya Road Pins and OA Red polka dot paper from WhoDunIt.
Making Memories - Paper Shreds Findings, Martha Stewart - Die Cut Lace tag, American Crafts - Letterbox Frame, Hambly - Stitches Rub On and Basic Grey - Origins Micro Monogram Stickers from Baker's Dozens and its Add On Kits.
Stazon - Timber Brown.
A teeny bit of yellow colored cardstock.
Martha Stewart - Classic butterfly Punch.
Versamark Ink
Red Embossing Powder.
Sable Brown Paint

I started with a blank canvas.



Then sprayed Orange mist all over it. The color will be pretty intense at this point. Don't worry about it, we will tame it down with gesso.


Waited 10 minutes, then slapped some gesso on it and went to town. You can use plastic knife (think McDonald's pancakes breakfast LOL) or like me, just use your fingers. You can see that most of the orange is now gone. I like to scrape the gesso thin at places so you can see the orange-ish underneath. Don't worry about getting it perfect, that's the whole point of using your fingers/ plastic knife.


Close up. I also sprayed a little Hydrangea mist, very little, from afar, as I just wanted little droplets of the blue on there. You can now use heat-gun if you want. I just left mine to dry while I made dinner for the girls.


When it's dried up, I sprayed some Lemon mist and (again) Orange mist, randomly and used heat gun on the whole canvas. Making sure I keep it moving to avoid bubbling up of the gesso. I sometime do that on purpose, but not this time.


Stamped and embossed the heart three times on kraft cardstock. Adhered to canvas panel.


Stazon-ed the Origins Micro Monogram Stickers to change their color.


Misted the Martha Steward Die Cut Lace tag - Dark Cornflower blue, arranged the letters to my liking. Punched two butterflies from the red polka dot paper and yellow cardstock, painted the AC letterbox frame - Sable Brown.

I also applied some Hambly stitches rub on on the hearts and scattered some cut up words from Making Memories Paper Shreds.


I promise you, it looks harder than it really is. Give it a try, you'll be glad you did. It's so much fun!
Let me know if you have any questions. I will be glad to help!

21 comments:

Diana Fisher said...

I love using mists on canvas, never thought to use the gesso! thanks for the tip...off to the store I go! :)

TeenaBugg38 said...

Oooooh I love that!!!

Angela W said...

I have never misted on canvas, just paper! I will so have to try this! Thanks for sharing!

said...

This is just gorgeous! Exactly what I need in a corner of my craftroom...definitely going to try this! :)

Amy said...

Sasha this is fantastic!! I totally love it! I have to give this a try! :D

Kimber-Leigh said...

sasha this is gorgeous! what a special gift :) thanks for sharing your process with us...i have a couple canvases sitting around...

Susan Weinroth said...

oh WOW!!!! this is amazing sasha!

Lacey said...

I made a canvas piece for my boyfriend for Vday. I used watercolor crayons instead of mist. :) Here's the link to my blog if anyone wants to see it. http://landerson.typepad.com/snapshot/2010/02/happy-valentines-day.html

ThisKalilLife said...

I love this idea. I'm going to use glimmer mist on a canvas this weekend! Thanks for sharing.

Becky Voth said...

Great idea! thanks for sharing!

bethchien said...

Ilove it Sasha!!!!!!!!!! so beautiful!! gorgeous, lovely colors!

stinkydudette said...

this is beautiful!

Connie Fossenier said...

sasha this rocks and love all the layers of mediums...very elegant and rich looking..
connie paxman

Wati Basri said...

great one there babe...tfs!

Erin said...

love this project! so fun!

Vanessa, Florida, USA said...

I love this! I'm inspired!! :)

Heidi said...

WOW....awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Brenda Hurd said...

absolutley stunning my friend! Your amazing!

Ann Cicilie said...

Lovely!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!! Today I went out and bought some acrylics and gesso!!


-Griselda in Texas

Hatuli said...

This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing this tutorial! I'm going to try it real soon.