December 6, 2009

a simple holiday how to

simple is nice this time of year so I've decided to keep my tutorial short and sweet.
this is an uncomplicated project that can be used in ways other than what I've shown here.
I used a few punches, some card stock and glitter to create a festive garland and ornaments for my miniature trees.

Here's what you'll need:
Punches. I've used Martha Stewart's butterfly punch and a small circle punch.
Glitter. I like Martha Stewart's line of glitter that comes in a wide variety of colors.
Red Baker's Twine,
Glue. I ran out of my favorite which is linked so I ended up using the white glue that came with my set of glitter.
Double sided tape. The ultra sticky kind that comes in sheets. I prefer the red lined.
Sliver head pins, available at any fabric shop.
Trees. I purchased the white one at Target and the silver from a local gift shop.
I started with the silver butterflies to stick to the white tree.
Start with white card stock. *note. this is a great way to use those strips of card stock cut from a 12x12 down to an 8 1/2 x 11 layout.
Stick down one side of the sticky paper onto the card stock.
Punch out your shapes. *note. the more detailed your punch, the harder it's going to be to punch out. That's why I chose to do the butterfly and circle. You can also sharpen your punches by folding a piece of foil and punching through it several times.
Peel back the tape from your punched shape and push down into glitter. You can also sprinkle glitter on top. I'm just use to dunking things into glitter. Do whatever suits you.
Brush off excess glitter with your finger and set aside.
After glittering all your shapes, you're ready to thread a pin through them.

Now you're ready to decorate your tree. The pins stick well to the bottle brush tree. Make as little or as much as you'd like. super easy. now for the polka dot garland for the sliver tree.Same thing we did for the butterflies, except use a small circle punch.
After glittering, we're ready to glue them to the festive red and white bakers twine. love this stuff.
Set one dot, glitter side down, add a spot of glue and place the string over that spot.
Add some more glue and stick another dot over it, glitter side up.
let it dry a little bit before placing it on your tree.
voila! a festive handmade garland. :)
I also added some left over butterflies that set nicely on the branches.
I mentioned that this idea can be used for other projects.
Holiday cards will shine with a few sparkly butterflies as well as your special December layouts.
How about adding some of these to your December Dailies?
Make a few little tags to place on gifts.
I'd love to see what you decided to do with your sparkly punched out shapes.
Be sure to post to the SC gallery for all to enjoy and inspire!

Thanks for hanging out with me!
Happy Sunday,
Tina

8 comments:

Nicole said...

LOVE these ideas Tina...WOW!! will definitely have to do some of these!!

Joy Madison said...

OMG!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

waleska said...

awesome ideas, Tina!!

Christina said...

cool!! My daughter would love to do this! fun!!
xo

MichelleB said...

This is adorable! Perfect use for my glitter collection!

stephanie howell said...

oh tina...i LOVE THIS. sigh!

Vee said...

looks great! love it :)

Tara said...

Soooo pretty! I've been so busy with other things lately that I haven't even felt like crafting. But now I really want to break out the glitter!