December 29, 2009

tuesday inspiration- vintage finds in your scraproom

today i thought i'd use vintage finds as my inspiration post.
i wanted to share some ideas for repurposing in your craft room.
my personal belief is that newer isn't always better. ;)
i prefer things with a history, things i can give new meaning.

so, here you go...i'll share some of my favorites and i'll be more than happy to answer any of your questions in the comments section!



use a vintage bed spring to hang art, ephemera, layouts, or inspiration










no need to only store your albums on shelves. use locker baskets and milk crates!


an old paper company piece is the perfect place to store my alpha stickers.
look for unusual small pieces of storage/furniture...these are great for small embellishments.



milkglass and colored glass pieces are perfectly suited for small embellishments and tools:






old tins work for adhesive storage:



and who knew that glass floral frogs held pens so well?



wire baskets make a good home for punches:



and i love collecting old muffin tins. my odds and ends live there. things i don't want to forget about when making a page.



vintage dish-drying racks hold layouts:


and plate racks can hold them too.


sewing machine drawers hold journaling tablets, and glues (to the left)


this old stamp holder holds my maya mists (which are all still in a bag since my move...HA!)


and a vintage (reproduction in my case) dress form displays my crystal stick pins and beautiful blossoms.


hope you enjoyed my post today!
xo


stephanie (h)

22 comments:

lisa truesdell said...

love. =)

Karen said...

great way to use your dress form...love that idea!

vtpuggirl said...

Your space is beautiful! We have very different styles, but I appreciate how lovely yours is!

lisa dickinson said...

LOVE. can i move in?? :)

Anonymous said...

I loved the vintage storage. I have so many of my Grandmothers things that I will look at a little differently now and try to use them a bit more as storage and display items. Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

Linda said...

I so enjoyed your post! I'm going to be looking for storage ideas with new eyes now!

Jennifer Larson said...

I love the idea of using a small tin for adhesive. That's where I'm putting my sticky strips, which I'm sick of sticking onto everything. Thanks for the ideas!

*reyanna* said...

So glad you're posting!! YAY! I LOVE this! Awesome post... love seeing all your vintage lovelies. :D

justem said...

I love those locker baskets!!! :)

Laney said...

Awesome ideas!! Now if you'll excuse me, I have some shopping to do in my own garage!! :-D

betsy (pharmgirl) said...

cool stuff! i do the same in my space!

Kimberly said...

WOW, I am thinking I need to visit the stores with great odds and ends. You have really inspired me. I guess I get stuck in that "matchy matchy mode" when it comes to organizing. Time to STEP out of My Box!

sherry said...

I looooove all your ideas, Stephanie, and they couldn't come at a better time -- I'll be doing a minor craft desk re-do and reorganization after the new year. Love the flowers on the dress form.

Alane said...

Everything in this post makes me drool. Deliciously vintage and creative!

The Scrappy Tree said...

Oh heaven! I especially love the muffin tin!

Annie said...

I recognize those cups from anthropologie!

Emily Pitts said...

don't you just love your new scrap room? the lighting is gorgeous! it's fun to see how you use things in new ways!

sandi said...

I just love vintage! Great posting Steph, I really like the mattress spring idea...I've used the "springs" in much the same way.

stephanie howell said...

annie- anthropologie?? awesome! i got them at a garage sale a few years ago!! xo

Unknown said...

LOVE all the vintage goodness! Thanks so much for sharing and hope to add some of your ideas to my creative space. Happy New YEar:)

rachel said...

Steph, I just love the dressform. You say its reproduction vintage. Does that mean I could find one like it somewhere? I've been looking forever! Love the rest of your ideas too. What a fun space! :)

Mary said...

Thanks Steph for sharing some organizing tips. You are so creative.