March 24, 2010

Tutorial: Fabric Scraps!

Susan here again today, with a fun little tutorial involving fabric scraps...

My office is a mix of scrapbooking paper products and sewing/fabric goodness. I have boxes and bags of fabric scraps (from past sewing projects) that I can't bear to throw away. Instead, I've found a variety of ways to incorporate the fabric scraps into my paper projects.

This spring card that I made will demonstrate three different fabric scrap techniques...


FABRIC FLOWER:

The first technique is a super simple fabric flower. Start by punching a large circle from cardstock - this circle punch would work great. Next gather a variety of small fabric strips, loop them in half, and adhere around the punched circle. This adhesive in the shop would work well.


After adhering fabric scrap loops around the circle, flip it over.


Punch another circle in the same size, and adhere to the top of your fabric flower base.


Accent the center of your flower with smaller punched circles (from cardstock), or scalloped punched circles, and even with small crocheted flowers and rhinestones. 3D Dots work really well for adding extra dimension in your flower centers!


Here is a peek of the finished scrappy fabric flower on my card! :)


FABRIC RUFFLE:

The second scrappy fabric technique on my card is a fabric ruffle. This is an easy element to add to either a card or a scrapbook page. Start with a strip of fabric that is at least double the length of the card or page that you will be stretching it across. Using a strip that is folded in half lengthwise (like my green gingham strip) will add additional volume to your ruffle.


Lay ruffle strip along your card and start stitching at one end. I start with a straight stitch up until the point where I'd like my first ruffle pleat. Also, I find it easiest to work with my sewing machine needle set to stop in the downward position (if this is an option on your machine).


Then I simply stop stitching where I'd like a ruffle pleat, and raise my foot, fold some fabric inward, lower the foot and continue stitching until the next point that I'd like a ruffle pleat at.


Continue this process across the width of your paper project.


Finished ruffle may need to have a few loose thread and ends trimmed once finished.


STAMPING ON FABRIC:

Stamping is the third and final scrappy fabric technique included on my card. Stamping images directly onto fabric is a great way to get yet another use out of your stamp collection.

I'm using stamps from the sentiment stamp set included in April's first add-on - Skycoaster. This is such a fun add-on, and the stamps are so versatile! (hint hint - you don't want to miss out on it on reveal day!)

Stamping onto fabric is very easy - just stamp as you normally would onto paper, but use fabric instead! A few tips: I've found it's best to iron your fabric before stamping, to make sure that there are no creases - and, Staz On Ink works the best on fabric in my experience.


After your card sentiment (or image) is stamped onto fabric, use a sharp pair of scissors to trim your image. Fray edges as desired. Stamped fabric can be glued or sewn to your paper project.

I also added a tiny bird (stamped and embossed) from the new-to-the-shop "Tweets" stamp set, sitting atop my card greeting. LOVE this stamp set - it's absolutely perfect for spring projects!


My finished card... Hope that you enjoyed my scrappy fabric techniques and that you try one out on a project soon!


:) -Susan

20 comments:

Zarah said...

SO fun & cute!!

nichole said...

oh, susan!
i adore you & your beautiful work!
this card is adorable! love how you made the flower & ruffle. now i need some fabrics! :)

Gloria said...

Oh Susan,
what a great tutorial!!! Cant wait to get my hands on some cute fabric I purchased weeks ago...your card looks so cute.
Thanks again;)

Agata said...

Love your tips about fabric! And this card is so bright and yummy! Thanks for the inspiration!

Colleen said...

Super cute!

Anonymous said...

So cool! Thank yuo so much for the tutorial! I love it :o)
And I am so into fabric these days so this is super inspiration!

judyc said...

Awesome card and great techniques!

Andrea said...

This card makes me smile and also go out and get fabric!

Haidee said...

That looks so fun to make!!!

Patty said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial on how to make your flower and ruffle! I love sewing on cards and am always looking for new ways to use fabric. I love making fabric flowers.

Marti said...

Awesome! I have lots of fabric scraps to use and this helps! Thank you!

Chris said...

cute, cute card! i too have lots fo scraps, will have to use more of them!! TFS!

kathleen said...

What a delicious card!!!!! Awesome tutorial! Thanks

stephanie aka scrapandthecity said...

The happy stamp is a nice sixe. its nice to see it in proportion to the stamp block.

Maria Eufemia said...

Thank you for all the great tips. Your instructions were so clear on sewing the ruffles that I think even I could do it on the sewing machine that happens to be taking up space in my craft area ;)

Randi WS said...

Superb tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing this inspiration! I enjoyed it a lot, and I'll definitly try out these techniques! ;)

Olivia said...

Really beautiful card :)

Sarah said...

TFS! Now I really want the add-on even more for that cute little stamp!

Angela W said...

So cute! Loving the fabric craze!

Michelle Clement said...

This is beautiful! :) I looove the texure that fabric brings to projects! :) Lovely!