March 10, 2010

Wednesday Tutorial - Paint Splatters

I know this is going to seem really easy, but this is one of THE most asked questions about my layouts lately.

First, gather a cup, a basic paintbrush, some craft paint like this from Making Memories, or any other acrylic paint like Claudine Hellmuth's Studio line. Also, have some water on hand.


Next, add just a little paint to your cup. Once you have the amount of paint you want, depending on your project, add just a little water to thin it out. Always add water to your paint, because if you begin with too much water, you'll waste a lot of paint trying to get it to the right consistency.


Mix up the paint and water, then go to town. You can also use a toothbrush for this, and bend the bristles back to splatter paint in all different directions.





Once you're done splattering, and the paint has dried finish decorating your piece with mists and stamps. I used Sunflower Yellow, Orange, and the awesome vintage airplane stamp from the Studio Calico shop.



Then you're done! Add this technique to gifts, art journals and layouts :)


xoxo,

Steph W.

12 comments:

Alyssa said...

Oh, awesome. I was wondering about that too. Glad to know thinning it is the secret. Thanks so much!

Jenni said...

YAY i was waiting for this one! thanks so much! :)

Ally said...

This is so, so, so great.

Elisa said...

Great tutorial, I fell in love with paint splattering since i saw a LO by a few SC DTer (Celine) - I love the randomness of it.

Deirdre Orcelletto said...

How freakin' cute is that!?! So simple. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVEEE the airplane stamp too!

janet said...

LOVE IT!!! I am goig to try it soon!

Lacey (studioLA) said...

Thanks so much for this! I tried it for the first time today, and i LOVE it. Plan to use it more often on my LO's :)

Adrienne said...

Thanks for that Stephanie! I have been admiring your pages with all the splatters!! LOVE your pages!

Sarah said...

Cool! I have to try this soon!

sandi said...

Great easy directions!

Kimberly said...

I totally dig this and plan on using this TODAY! Super FUN!

Angela W said...

Awesome! Thanks! I did this on a canvas this week with multiple colors!