March 3, 2010

tutorial : printed canvas background




Happy Wednesday!! I'm here today with a fun way to use the iron on transfer paper and canvas that comes in the Patchwork add-on.



I started by choosing a few pieces of Alex's schoolwork and scanning them. I tried to find pieces with different colors and designs. Once they were scanned, I opened a blank 8.5x11in document and combined bits and pieces of each into one document. I knew I was going to place a 4x6 photo of the left side of the canvas, so I made sure to keep my favorite bits and pieces - like his signature and drawing - visible.



The next step is to flatten all of the layers and flip the document. I used PSE 7 for this - I went to the image menu and then "flip horizontal"



I printed the document on regular paper, just to get a sense of how it would look on the page and make sure everything was correct. I sized the image down 1/2in on both sides, just to make sure nothing would be cut off.



Since I was happy with the image, I loaded the iron on transfer paper into my printer and printed the image again. I then followed the directions to iron the image onto the canvas in Patchwork. The higher contrast pieces worked best - I found that Alex's pencil diagrams on green construction paper didn't transfer as well as I would have liked.



I stitched the canvas in place on a piece of vanilla cardstock, and then added a title, and some patterned paper and veneer accent from the Wedding Ring Add-On. I also stamped journaling lines with the notebook paper stamp (perfect for the theme of the page!) using Spiced Marmalade Distress ink.



To create these star accents, I punched scrap paper with the Fiskars Twinkle Twinkle punches in Med and XL. I attached the scrap paper to the back of the veneer from Wedding Ring and then cut around them. I stapled them with my Tiny Attacher and attached to the page using glue dots.



I added a bit more stitching and some of the Studio Calico patterned paper from the main kit (it's sold out, but you can still get it in the more patterned paper add-on) to finish the page.



I also used the iron on transfer paper for my banner, but once again, not with a photo - I scanned vintage ledger paper. I hope this inspires you to think beyond photos for using the iron on transfer paper from Patchwork- there are so many fun ways to use it.

PS : Even after both of these projects, I still have good sized pieces of all of the fabrics left, and I haven't even touched the Making Memories felt accents or the satin ribbon that comes with Patchwork. I love that I still have enough leftovers to do even more projects!

12 comments:

Debbie said...

gorgeous =)

Angela W said...

Awesome, Lisa! Thanks for the tutorial!

Kelly Noel said...

this is awesome, glue!!! amazing!

Anonymous said...

this is just so awesome! love it!

kathleen said...

WOW!!!! Awesome, Lisa! I have been saving tons of my dd's stuff from school! I would love to do something like this! I guess I need to figure out figure out photoshop first ; ) Thank for the inspiration!!!!

taniawillis said...

words can't even begin to describe how incredibly AWESOME this idea is! this wins BEST & MOST ORIGINAL technique i've ever seen combining fabric & scrapbooking! so inspiring!

Kimber-Leigh said...

gorgeous lisa! thanks for sharing your process!

Davinie Fiero said...

You are so smart Lisa!

Ann-Marie said...

LISA
this
is
GENIUS!

brooke said...

I was wondering how i could work in my kids school work into a layout. Thanks!

Erin M said...

so unbelievably creative!
I love it. Always looking for good ways to incorporate the everyday kind of stuff into my scrapbook pages.
Thanks!

Brenda Hurd said...

wow - this is amazing!! Love what you did - and what a great way to include lots of shoolwork on one layout!