September 1, 2010

Collage Inspiration is Elementary

When I first posted the challenge on the blog, my immediate thought was that I needed to grab my Elementary Collection and create a layout.  In particular, I thought of the Penmanship print and the B side with the yellow and star print.

One of my favorite parts about Elementary, this somewhat school themed line, is that it has pink in it.  I have no choice.  Pink is the signature color at my house.  My girls aren't interested in wearing red, yellow, and blue on the first day of school. 

The color pink, and the current challenge, combined to inspire me to create a layout about Morgan's first and last day of Kindergarten last year.  I'd LOOOOVE to do a layout about her first day of 1st grade, but dadgum, school doesn't start until September 7!  I'm dyin' here!  :)



You'll notice the touches of pink.  Also see the visual triangle I made in the design of this layout, with the blue down the right side and behind the two apples on the lower left, all of it intentionally done to draw your eye through the layout.

This layout was a lot of fun to make and extremely easy as well.  Here's the process:

1.  Kraft cardstock (well, of course).
2.  The following punches:


The apple and the scalloped square (approximately 2 inches) worked together well this month.  And if you look closely, you can even see my self portrait, reflected in that square.  heeeee.

3.  Using your square punch first, trim 30 squares from different patterned papers in your stash (although I think you can find Elementary quite soon at your local scrapbook or favorite online store).

4.  After punching your squares, it's time to punch your apples.  Slip the square into the punch and squeeze.  You aren't going to see any of the square when you put the paper into this punch so try and drop it straight down to ensure the apple gets punched in the center.  Ink the edges (I used antique linen).   You'll end up with 30 of these:



5.  Layer them on the left side of your 12x12 piece of cardstock: 


6.  On the right hand side of my layout I trimmed a strip approximately 2 inches wide with a scallop on the left, and layered the dark blue print on top of it. 

7.  After they have been arranged and adhered, I randomly stitched some of them, and then attached my photos and embellishments to end up with this:

OUT FOR PUBLICATION.  :)


I used Elementary sticker alphas along with some Maya Road chipboard alphas I just received in my latest Scrapbook Trends goodie box.  I used my go to Hydrangea mist on the alphas.





It's an apple, and then it's a pumpkin.  What a snazzy little punch, that! 

14 comments:

Mandie said...

love your collage lo, davinie! super cute!

Anonymous said...

love the layout

Danielle Flanders said...

that is sooooooo cute!! I am loving negative punches lately!!

Gillian said...

OMHeck, that background is wuuuuuunderfuuuuul!!! I'll be lifting that fo sho. :)

g

Carol said...

thanks for sharing. this is a very interesting layout which I can work with my nieces. Simple and so cute.

Gracie said...

Eeeee! Love this Davinie!!!!

Miss Smith said...

Oooh, what a brilliant idea!

*scraplift*

Astrid said...

Oh I love it, that apple punch is too cute. I can see posiblities :)

Kimberly said...

This is so DARLING Dav! LOVE it! What a great idea with the punches! :)
xx
Loves,
K

Scrapamum said...

Gorgeous! The inspiration is a flowing for me now : )

Brianaj said...

Girl, you are blowing my socks off first poliwogs now this??? Amazing.

Serena said...

wonderfull idea!!! Love it!!!

Unknown said...

What a great LO...love the use of the punch!

Elisa said...

absolutely amazing :)